Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dog Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Jury is still out on the bone broth stuff. last night Gavin wasn't interested, but this morning he was.
    Could be the supplements I added last night...
    Morning walk was nice, but both of the dogs we saw had owners who wouldn't let them say hi.
    Don't know if it was our bad luck to find unfriendly dogs or if owners think the wheelchair means they need to keep their dog away.
    Neither got close enough for me to ask...

Trying to walk every day if we can, but all this rain is getting in the way. Gavin could care less, and he does have a raincoat, but I would be less than thrilled to go walking in the rain and mud

ghggp, Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I've been reading different articles about how good bone broth is for dogs...interested in trying to make it, maybe in the slow cooker.

I'm a real wimp when it comes to letting the dogs meet other dogs... I'll cross the street before I let them meet (Piper gets very barky and wants to play with every dog he meets!).
    I also don't like walking in the rain...don't blame you! Piper and Finnie also could care less about the rain, they don't even notice it lol. Riley hates the rain...won't go outside if its raining! Lol

ghggp likes this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

i made bone broth for a few months from bones...very stinky and messy . didnt seem to make any difference for Gavin. the store bought dehydrated stuff is much nicer :)

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  4. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I won’t walk in the rain!
    Sorry, I’m a wimp!

When I let my boys out when it rains... they do their business and want IN!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2019
    Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Had a nice walk today..met lots of dogs!
    Also, had 3 women dog walkers tell me I was a good dog mom for getting Gavin out in his wheels.
    Most emotionally positive of any of my walks with Gavin.

6. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    No matter how the weather is, Minnie gets her morning walk 3 - 4 km (1,9 - 2.5 miles) every single day :wink2:

Here in Denmark it is raining a lot
    Minnie's coat is "rainproof" (it rises)
    when we come home and she is dried in towels, she is like new :yes:
    and I look like a drowned mouse :gaah

Sharon7, Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    :yuckyuck

Somehow it is just not fair how they can look so good by just shaking off!

Hanne and Piper's mom like this.
  8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    It must be a wonderful thing to see Gavin strutting in his wheels! I'd be telling you what a good mom you are too Cindy if I saw you guys walking!

9. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Perhaps we should just have a good shake too Gloria...maybe that'd help:ROFLMAO:

ghggp likes this.
  10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

It just occurred to me that Gavin's walks are also work for him, so no wonder he prefers to go places that are more interesting as opposed to being happy to go on a walk anywhere like before. I either have to stroller him 15 minutes to a walk place, walk for 30-45 minutes, and stroller him back for 15 minutes OR drive him 10-20 minutes to a walk place, walk for 30-50 minutes, then drive 10-20 minutes to get back home. So far, as long as I pick places he likes he has been very cooperative.

we had 4 days in a row of walks, Monday is a possibility before the rains will most likely come for 4+ days. I realize now how even ADA compliant places are challenging in a wheelchair. and how rain = mud = a huge safety nightmare and mess.

Ann and Hanne like this.