Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dog Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Please, please, please, Cindy... NEVER, EVER feel guilty about Gavin.
    No one could have or would have done as much as you have for him.

As long as I have been on this forum, I can count on one hand the people who have gone above and beyond for their Shelties. You are on the top of that list!

You have my undying admiration for the love and devotion from Gavin's radiation treatment when he was first diagnosed until the new brace!

You are the light in his life! Virtual hugs to you both!

Sharon7 likes this.
  2. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I second everything Gloria has said. And, if you feel he is lonely, is doggie day care one or two days a week an option? They may have a senior group he could be part of, if you thought it was safe. Too bad you're not my in my neck of the woods - I wouldn't mind visiting Gavin to give him some attention during the day!

ghggp likes this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

We do have a local doggie daycare (where I board him). They separate small dogs from big dogs.
    I think they kinda keep Gavin sequestered because (sans wheelchair) he can't do stairs and wears booties.
    I will have to ask them what Gavin does when he is there....

ghggp likes this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

went to the beach today..sunny and warm :) Gavin had a blast!

corbinam, Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sheer bliss!
    Wish I could join you and Gavin on the beach!
    Awesome day for Gavin to frolic on the sand and waves!
    Thanks for sharing...

6. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Forums Enthusiast

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    Loved the videos Cindy! Just warms my heart watching Gavin, you could see the happiness...he looked like he was having a great time. Especially loved seeing him meet the other dog!
    Looks and sounded so peaceful and beautiful there!

Calliesmom likes this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Gavin did not want to leave. He gets to be off leash cause I can outrun him when he is in the cart :) the walk back to the car required a lot of cookies. He's been sleeping ever since we got back.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2019 at 7:03 PM
  8. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I bet he's having sweet dreams about his fun at the beach today!

I was working today when I watched your videos (I'm on the road all evening) so I heard the sounds of the waves through my Bluetooth and it was almost like I was there! You could sell that sound....so soothing!

Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I had to look up winnipeg, and you are pretty landlocked. 8 hour drive to even lake superior.
    I have to admit that living here for 20 years I take the ocean for granted...
    Hope the barking Sheltie didn't negate the peaceful waves but I love hearing his happy barks! (btw, we go to a protected harbor-pillar point- and today it was high tide when we visited)

Calliesmom, ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  10. Piper's mom

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I didn't mind his happy barks at all...nothing better than a happy Sheltie! I was amazed at how well he managed in that wet sand (I see what you mean about motivation, he can really move when he wants to)...he seemed to want to go in the water but was surprised when it was already at his feet lol.

We are quite landlocked here lol...a couple hundred years ago settlers decided to make camp where two rivers intersected and here we are now lol. I could drive for 2 hours north and reach lake Winnipeg (11th largest freshwater lake in the world) and quite beautiful with the whitest sand or 2 hours east and be in the Whiteshell (many lakes here)...perhaps this summer, I've never had the dogs around water like that but I'd be curious to see how they'd like it. But it's definitely not as easy for me as it is for you to reach a body of water lol.

Calliesmom likes this.