Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dog Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    there is another wheelie dog at gavin’s beach. we have never seen him or her, but was told about it and have seen the tracks. i hope they meet someday!

Sandy in CT, Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Just love that video Cindy! He just looks so happy and contented just strolling along the beach getting his paws wet to cool down.

He is just so precious. He sounds identical to Mr Chance who never met a stranger and never minded me fussing with his feet to put his booties on the sore paw!

I know Gavin is your heart and soul! What a wonderful life you have together and I know every moment is absolutely cherished!

Keep posting those videos! We all enjoy them so much!

Calliesmom likes this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    I am constantly amazed at how trusting Gavin is. He really is a pure and gentle soul.

ghggp likes this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    So today we did the bike bridge and Gavin did his little bunny hop/trot up without any prompting.
    So I am scouring my head as to what is different from when he never bunny hopped...
    Only thing is his booties. I was using his hiking boots starting about 2 weeks ago..
    So, these are the lighter ones I was using before, and always for doggy boarding (linoleum)
    https://www.amazon.com/RUFFWEAR-Summit-Pairs-Boots-Twilight/dp/B07551Z5QR/ref=sr_1_1?crid=3BV547T2R7FQS&keywords=ruffware+booties&qid=1567703676&s=gateway&sprefix=ruffear,aps,196&sr=8-1
    These are his other hiking booties
    https://www.amazon.com/RUFFWEAR-Grip-Trex-Spring-Boots/dp/B01N4NKH1Q/ref=sr_1_2?crid=3BV547T2R7FQS&keywords=ruffware+booties&qid=1567703739&s=gateway&sprefix=ruffear,aps,196&sr=8-2

I figured the less stiff, lighter ones would have been easier for him, but looks like the heavier ones are easier. Bunny Hopping puts less uneven stress on his forelimbs, don't think it really affects his bad leg much at all. But it does require a little more energy to start the momentum of the motion. And I don't have him wear any booties when we just run out for a potty break, but he has been bunny hopping there, too.

The only other things is a new supplement but I really don't think it would have that great an effect.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2019
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Normal weekend, but this is something I see a couple of times a day and I love it every single time......

Attached Files:

6. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Canberra, Australia
    He's moving a lot better in his wheelchair than last time I saw a video.

Piper's mom and Calliesmom like this.
  7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    All I want is for him to not get worse....
    And I think I have managed to do that considering it's been almost 2 years since the groin pull.

Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sucha cute picture of Gavin!

Calliesmom and Piper's mom like this.
  9. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Now that I know how much he moves around at night I understand why he sleeps when I am home in the evenings!

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Sparkly Toes! I got soft paws for Gavin's bad leg's toes as they are worn down to the quick. They are designed for cats and small dogs (he is an XL). He doesn't seem to mind them.

IMG_6170.jpg

ghggp likes this.