Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dog Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I just love my boy so much and he is a total sweetheart.
    I want him to enjoy life as much as he can, especially after surviving cancer and radiation therapy, and loosing his hearing.
    I miss being able to do as much hiking and camping as I used to with him, and don't want to go without him.
    He is an amazing dog, and so happy despite everything. Just doing my best to give him the best life I can.

Hanne likes this.
  2. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Cindy, for all you have done for Gavin to make his life truly special, I tip my hat to you.

In each post I feel the love, devotion, and caring for his every need. His sweetness and tolerance for all he has been though just warms my heart.

Your relationship to Gavin reminds me so much of Mr Chance. We are only blessed to have one of these sweet souls in our lives. They are our soulmates in a sense. Nothing can compare or replace the special bond we have.

Enjoy ever day, hour, minute, and second with him as I know you do! They are truly one of a kind! Our heart dogs!

I always love reading your adventures with Gavin!

Sharon7 likes this.
  3. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

You are why I post so much :) And as a log....

I just realized I never posted about the vibrating platform
    Not sure if it helps, and we don't do it more than 3-4 times a week, but Gavin is OK with it.
    He likes the wheelchair and walking much better, obviously, but for days when we don't do that I try and do this for a bit.

<>

4. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    that's interesting-I've never seen anything like that. Gavin does seem to be ok with it.

5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

It just vibrates...apparently it is a workout thing, but also used for rehab for people with neuropathy and people who can't do much.
    Amazon is a wonder. I just hope it keeps his little nerves active and working in that leg. I know his rehab vet had one, too, and they used it on him once or twice.
    He is just do good at off weighting from his bad leg onto his other legs that I have to tripod him to get him to put weight on the leg, and pulling up his good rear leg is the most effective.
    Taking up his front legs is too easy for him to shift his weight. A work in progress, like most things

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Wow, that is so cool! Can you possibly post a link of where to get it???

I could have really used that for Logan and Me Chance.

I thought they only had those at vets offices!

7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

To be honest,I went for the cheapest one (which was pink). Amazon has quite a few for around $100. walmart.com had one, too.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06Y54ZZNY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Took Gavin for a walk this morning on a trail near me since I was awake. He pretty much only wanted to go off trail (paved) and walk on the grass. And it wasn't only to look for goose poop! Not too much grass on our local walk. Didn't go as far as normal but I think it was enjoyed more.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So this morning we went to the local baseball field area so Gavin could walk all over the grass for as long as he wanted. Cute thing was that he climbed over his wheelchair in the car to meet me at the door to be lifted out of the car. He usually is so good about waiting, but this morning he wanted to get moving! I will probably buy the air filled tires (he has the plastic ones, they are the only ones that come with his size of wheelchair). I think that is why he likes the grass so much, its a smoother and quieter ride. Think big wheel tires vs bike tires.

Sharon7, Hanne and Cara Sandler like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Glad Gavin has pep in his step! Great idea going for the air filled tires!

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Smoke is really bad here from the Camp Fire near Chico 200 miles away so no walks for a while.
    Feeling terrible for the people who have lost their lives and their homes.
    It has been happening so often lately: Santa Rosa last year, mendocino complex and carr fire earlier this year.
    :(