Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dog Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I am hopeful..It is to early to know if he will get stronger and stop limping. I am planning to start driving him to different places a few times a week cause I am bored of the same few blocks close to the condo I live in. Our 'old' walks were not that far away, but too far for him now. I can drive him to parking lots 1/2-3/4 mile away that are right next to less urban walks. Even if he can walk that far, it would take a very very long time. I have to keep reminding myself that he is walking with a walker..and people walk much slower with a walker than without, too.

2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So last night we went even further! We crossed the road to some nice houses to walk by, but it is kind of dicey at night cause people drive way too fast to stop for a slow moving dog (or person) in the crosswalk. If I could just pick Gavin up and run across the road it would be easier, but the wheelchair kind of gets in the way. I might have to try that anyway

3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    No matter what... a pedestrian ALWAYS has the right of way! I swear I would take a picture of their car and license plate if I felt myself or my dog were at risk in an intersection. I ALWAYS stop father back from the intersection so the person understands I will wait for them to pass.

Geez, would you run over an elderly individual in a wheelchair going through the intersection?

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

No intersection, just a crosswalk. There are cars parked all along the street hampering visibility and NO ONE drives the speed limit of 30MPH around that curve. Its bad enough during daylight at that crosswalk. There aren't any blinky lights there either that alert people that someone is crossing. Maybe I should send the city a letter. The light is a block up, and hopefully Gavin can make that extra distance soon. But we are increasing our walks a block or so at a time and that would increase things 2 blocks.

5. Hanne

Hanne Forums Enthusiast

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Cindy could not have some reflexes on top of your arms - or reflex west.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
  7. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

We are lit up like Christmas trees! It really is an issue of people driving too fast too see us in time to slow down and stop. Call me untrusting but unless car is stopped I am very nervous about crossing, there is a school nearby, but even during those hours intersection has no crossing guard, only the light intersection has one.

Calliesmom likes this.
  8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So Gavin definitely likes his wheelchair, or at least getting to go out for a walk in his wheelchair. He sees me clicking on the blinkies and he comes over to stand next to it. After taking a day off Tuesday Night, we went even further last night, and I carried across the bad crosswalk so we were quick. Pretty awkward, but it works. I think we will take a day off in between walks now that we are walking further and faster. Last night Gavin definitely had as few spurts of speed and in general was faster than 2 days before. He definitely does not walk evenly, still favoring his good leg significantly. But at least there is exercise for his bad leg with decent range of motion.

Calliesmom and Sharon7 like this.
  9. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    So glad to hear all this good news. sounds like Gavin is adjusting well. You are a super mom to help him be the best he can be and I'm sure he loves getting out and about! Happy for you both.

ghggp likes this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Well said Sharon! Could have not said it better myself!

Go team Cindy and Gavin!