Hepatic Encephalopathy???

After playing catch up with the posts about Bacca I have tears of joy running down my face. I am so happy for you both. Bacca has the best of mommy's and the joy you must feel at seeing him being Bacca again, must be immeasurable.

Love and big hugs,

Kate and Harper and Bridey.
 
I have been catching up on Bacca and so happy for you that he is improving so much. Still looking for why the new med- maybe you can fill me in Barb. I know you are so very happy.
 
The easiest way to describe is this:

Because his liver is not operating properly it allows waste to escape into his blood stream and ultimately into his brain. This results in his "brain farts". Or more properly Hepatic encephalopathy.

The symptoms are poor muscle control, weak legs, head rubbing, circling, staring and not responding to voices, etc. Generally a state of la-la.

Bacca had all these symptoms this summer. Plus he lost most of his undercoat as well and huge bare spots all over his torso.

Between a 6 week dose of antibiotics, twice weekly bathes....his skin condition cleared up and he has grown all his fur back

The lactulose is essentially a constipation medecine. It frees up the toxins quicker and expels them before it gets into his bloodstream. And yes, I don't have those nice firm easily picked up stools anymore. A side effect I have to live with.

His condition is confusing sometimes because he is also hypothyroid, so it's often not easy to determine if his liver or thyroid is causing a relapse.

But for now, today...we are good. :smile2:
 
Update on Bacca and his HE/Liver/Hypo

Going through a bad spell right now...:cry:

He goes up and down like a yo-yo. Some days he is "better" eats, drinks, but sleeps a lot. Those are the good days.

Other days he doesn't eat, and has obsessive behaviour....eating snow constantly (and getting brain freeze), circling, can't orient himself and ends up in corners and can't find his way out, trips over everything, totally disoriented.

His skin funk is starting to come back again, so I've contacted the vet and we are going do another round of anti-biotics.

It seems like he is in either two states....sleeping or agitated.

He is on thyrotab for his hypothrodism, Zentinol and Lactulose for his liver. Low protein diet, but maybe not low enough or may have to home cook (but I don't even cook for myself! Cripes!)

I don't know what else to do. Surgery for his liver shunt is just not an option. And his last bloodwork indicated his thyroid was under control.

Not sure what else to do. Reaching out to anyone else with liver shunted dogs and how you handled it.
 
I've been thinking about you lately, I'm SO sorry to hear Bacca isn't doing well.:( Keeping you both in my prayers.:hugs
Please keep us updated.
 
Really sorry to read Bacca is acting strange :(.

Bailey has really dry skin right now. She's on good quality food, fish oil, coconut oil and was recently tested for thyroid. We believe it is from the dry weather and blasting the heat in the house. I massaged some coconut oil onto her skin lady week. It made a huge difference after only 1 application. It did make her fur very greasy, so I wouldn't let her on the furniture, but she stopped scratching, her skin was less pink and less flaky.
 
So sorry Bacca is having some really "off" times. From your description of what you are doing to help him, you are doing everything possible. The one thing that hit me reading your post was his circling, tripping and getting "lost" behavior...any chance he could have Vestibular syndrone (inner ear disorder) and the strange behavior not related to his liver issues at all?

Trini
 
I thought of that too. Our Meadow has had 1 episode of peripheral vestibular syndrome and those are definitely the symptoms. She also had a bit of vomiting and rapid eye movement. Scared me to death.
 
Drats! I was really hoping that Bacca was going to be doing a lot better for some time to come. Hope he does a quick turnaround and gets back to feeling better.
 
@trini and bi-blacks....I don't think so.....His symptoms are clearly related to HE and are pretty classic. When I had him at my new vet 6 months ago, he noted the symptoms exactly. Except now they are occurring more frequently. I am now at a point that I cannot expose him to situations which may confuse him. Going to my store groomer....forget it....car rides are limited.

My friend wanted to come visit her overnight with my pups and I had to pass because Bacca would not respond well to a new environment.

I did finally find a dental chew (which he needs for his teeth). This is the first that he shown anything interest in chewing anything for a long time. Its got carrot, and he does like carrot.

I guess we are just going to go day by day and hope that we get more good days then bad.

p.s. Indy is in dog Nirvana because of the special bone I brought home for him tonight. I'm glad one of my dogs can still enjoy.....
 
Back
Top