Lazy or sick?

I'm sure this was not the diagnosis you wanted to hear, but at least you have an answer and most importantly, a plan. The FHO is a pretty benign surgery and Scout will come through it with flying colors. I wish you could see my Sprite racing around the yard after her ball now! It does certainly sound like it was an old injury; as Trini said, you would have recognized the pain it would cause when it happened.

As for the weight, don't beat yourself up. Shelties are notorious for packing on the pounds, and will eat their weight in food and tell you they're still starving. You'll get the weight off him, but it's a slow and gradual process so be patient. Light exercise will help. Your vet sounds excellent and one who really knows his field...that's so important and encouraging! Hang in there and give your boy a pat for me.
 
I'm sure this was not the diagnosis you wanted to hear, but at least you have an answer and most importantly, a plan. The FHO is a pretty benign surgery and Scout will come through it with flying colors. I wish you could see my Sprite racing around the yard after her ball now! It does certainly sound like it was an old injury; as Trini said, you would have recognized the pain it would cause when it happened.

As for the weight, don't beat yourself up. Sheties are notorious for packing on the pounds, and will eat their weight in food and tell you they're still starving. You'll get the weight off him, but it's a slow and gradual process so be patient. Light exercise will help. Your vet sounds excellent and one who really knows his field...that's so important and encouraging! Hang in there and give your boy a pat for me.[/QUOTE
Scout lives for bully sticks. He is a very avid chewer and can go through one in an hour or two. Since learning that bully sticks can have 20 calories an inch, I just cannot eat him have one a day. Is there any other chewy thing that is very low in calories that I could substitute? He pays no attention to the so called flavored ones or the antlers. Being a puppy, he needs to be able to chew on something.
 
Thank you for your support. I have been telling my friends and family how all of you have made this devastating dx a little less disheartening. The knowledge and experience you share is invaluable to a new sheltie mom. Most people just think a dog is a dog, is a dog and specific breed knowledge is hogwash. From the time I was a child, I have always had a dog and most times two dogs at my side across several different breeds. I have to say that my experience with a sheltie has been a huge difference than other breeds in my family. All of you who have been following Scout since April have become a part of his family. He and I are so thankful for you.
Thank-you for those kind words for everyone here...this SN group is incredibly supportive in both the good times and the bad times. And with so many long term Sheltie owners there is a wealth of experience to share. Shelties are indeed a unique breed...wonderful...but often needing a totally different approach from many other breeds and that can take some getting used to. You are doing a great job with Scout and he will come through all of this just fine.
Trini
 
Love our boy Scout! River says he can eat any extra food that Scout is not allowed to have. No problem.
Too funny!! Scout is doing okay on his new diet, but he eats his two meals a day like he will never see another meal! Breaks my heart! The meds are helping him move more, which is what we want, but I just want him to be fixed! I am considering a second opinion on his surgery. He has lost a little weight, but he has also gotten longer. I can feel his ribs much easier than before. I just think he needs this surgery sooner than later. Maybe I am wrong, but I want another opinion.
He is my world! When we take him out, people stop and want to pet him. He is so beautiful and laid back. When we first got him he was terrified of strangers, but now he loves the attention. He is drawn to children more than adults and the children adore him because he does not jump or move in a way that would frighten them. They kiss him on his head and say they love him. Makes my heart proud.
He and I have a special bond. He knows how to tell me what he needs and I understand him. I love him with all my heart and I know God gave him to me in the last stages of my life. Thank you for listening.
 
Sorry to miss this thread. When Deska was diagnosed with elbow dysplasia I kept getting told he was being lazy. That never sat well with me, he was a sheepdog, and sometimes walked for ages. Definitely worse on pathways rather than grass. And by the time I got a diagnosis he had already developed arthritis in the joints.

Tully had a THR 8 years ago. Funny, I would never have gotten a FHO because all the research I found said the THR was the gold standard and the FHO was salvage surgery with poorer outcomes (regardless of size of dog). Plus you can't revert for a FHO. When I get back home I could look up the research papers I found, although obviously that was a while ago when Tully first got the surgery. Honestly, I've never heard of a Ortho vet recommending FHO over THR (I consulted 3 before doing the surgery). Although usually a general vet can do FHO only.

Just out of interest, did he say why he couldn't do a TPO or DPO to reshape the bone, given Scout's age? They are corrective procedures. I know a lot of people who have had this done with a young dog with bad dysplasia. Was the incident definitely a dislocation? I had this issue with Tully - they could never be 100% sure if it was a dislocation or legg-calves-perthes. The latter being fairly common with Shelties.

Deska put on weight when he started showing signs of his dysplasia, and when he was better managed he dropped the weight. Don't beat yourself up, the weight may have crept up because he was not as active and moving around as much as you'd expect a dog his age.

Sorry, it's late and I know I threw in a lot of info and acronyms and prob didn't word it too well. I can expand on anything you like.
 
Tully had a THR 8 years ago. Funny, I would never have gotten a FHO because all the research I found said the THR was the gold standard and the FHO was salvage surgery with poorer outcomes (regardless of size of dog). Plus you can't revert for a FHO. When I get back home I could look up the research papers I found, although obviously that was a while ago when Tully first got the surgery. Honestly, I've never heard of a Ortho vet recommending FHO over THR (I consulted 3 before doing the surgery). Although usually a general vet can do FHO only.

Caro, all the orthopedic surgeons here in the states that I know recommend FHO over THR every time. It lasts forever and a THR frequently has to be redone, and that in the years when the dog is older and doesn't respond as well. Sprite had two FHOs, one on each hip, before she was two and she's six now and we call her the bionic doggie. She runs and jumps better than some of my dogs who haven't had both hips done. My holistic vet, who also recommended the FHO for her, said she has patients who do agility after having FHOs.

The FHO is easier for them to recover from....Sprite was in and out from both surgeries the same day (and that was with a board-certified surgeon) and I did her PT at home with simple exercises. General vets here don't do FHOs; it's only done by orthopedic surgeons.
 
As long as a dog is under 45 pounds the FHO is definitely the recommended procedure around here. As Ann says it is a one time surgery, never needs redoing and there is no chance of arthritis in that hip as a dog ages. Scout sound like he is a total love. :) Getting a second opinion on timing for surgery is never a bad idea.
Trini
 
Back
Top