Lazy or sick?

Thinking of you and Scout today…fingers crossed that your appointment goes well!
Interesting appointment. Vet said Scout does not have hip dysplasia. He has a dislocated left hip due to a trauma. This could have happened before we adopted him or after. We have no knowledge of any event or injury since we brought him home, but I guess it’s possible. I hate he was injured and we didn’t know.
Treatment plan is weight loss. He is 30 lbs and should be around 25. Vet recommended Hill’s Science Weight and Joint Care. He also needs more muscle mass on that side. Several short walks on soft surfaces a day as tolerated.
Then he will reevaluate. Interestingly, he does not do THR, only FHO. He said he has seen several bad outcomes from THR and hardly any from FHO. We really liked him. He said Scout has very minor mobility problems and no visible lameness. We are to continue the anti-inflammatory and joint supplement until he loses the weight. He will definitely need the FHO, but he needs to be in better condition before the surgery. I feel terrible that we allowed him to become obese. I have never overfed any of our dogs. Apparently, Scout’s metabolism is such that he is prone to obesity. He wants our vet to run a test for hypothyroidism.
I do feel a little better that we don’t have to rush him into surgery right now.
Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes.
 
Doggone it, that is weird that it is an injury - and who knows how long? I'm sorry to hear, but at least you have a solid plan in place. Thyroid is not uncommon issue in Shelties, but they are "thrifty" little dogs, originated in a place where they had to make do probably with scraps from the farmer/shepherd. Overweight Shelties are VERY common in any case. It might be helpful to see if there are physical therapy options in your area, if not for now then for after surgery. The one in our town has done incredibly good work, they have an underwater treadmill, etc. Good luck and gentle pats to Scout.
 
Your presurgery assignment of getting Scout to loose weight is a tuff one.
1 of Teddy's Vets early in March said he was obese at 31,8 lbs last visit in July he was 28.8 lbs. Cut food volume and increased exercise.Shelties seem to put it on easy and it's harder to take off
I hope you have better luck than I do.
It's sounds like you had an interesting visit and at least have some answers.
I am going to still say a little prayer for a speedy recovery.
 
Interesting appointment. Vet said Scout does not have hip dysplasia. He has a dislocated left hip due to a trauma. This could have happened before we adopted him or after. We have no knowledge of any event or injury since we brought him home, but I guess it’s possible. I hate he was injured and we didn’t know.
Treatment plan is weight loss. He is 30 lbs and should be around 25. Vet recommended Hill’s Science Weight and Joint Care. He also needs more muscle mass on that side. Several short walks on soft surfaces a day as tolerated.
Then he will reevaluate. Interestingly, he does not do THR, only FHO. He said he has seen several bad outcomes from THR and hardly any from FHO. We really liked him. He said Scout has very minor mobility problems and no visible lameness. We are to continue the anti-inflammatory and joint supplement until he loses the weight. He will definitely need the FHO, but he needs to be in better condition before the surgery. I feel terrible that we allowed him to become obese. I have never overfed any of our dogs. Apparently, Scout’s metabolism is such that he is prone to obesity. He wants our vet to run a test for hypothyroidism.
I do feel a little better that we don’t have to rush him into surgery right now.
Thanks for all the prayers and well wishes.
That certainly was an interesting dx and I am glad this specialist recommends the FHO for when surgery will be warranted. Unlike a total hip replacement which can fail over time and require yet another surgery, the FHO is a one time only surgery...and Scout will never get arthritis in that hip which is a big plus as he gets older. I suspect this injury may have happened before you got him because it would have been painful when it happened and I am sure you would have noticed. I like everything this specialist has recommended as you get Scout in better shape to undergo surgery...it sounds like you have found a really good vet! And this pause before surgery will be scheduled gives you time to emotionally prepare for Scout to go through this. Low thyroid is not uncommon in Shelties and thankfully is easily treated with an inexpensive med if it turns out that Scout tests positive for low thyroid. Hope the answers you got today and the treatment plan puts your mind at ease a little bit...I know this has all been a shock.
Gentle hugs to your sweet boy.
Trini
 
That certainly was an interesting dx and I am glad this specialist recommends the FHO for when surgery will be warranted. Unlike a total hip replacement which can fail over time and require yet another surgery, the FHO is a one time only surgery...and Scout will never get arthritis in that hip which is a big plus as he gets older. I suspect this injury may have happened before you got him because it would have been painful when it happened and I am sure you would have noticed. I like everything this specialist has recommended as you get Scout in better shape to undergo surgery...it sounds like you have found a really good vet! And this pause before surgery will be scheduled gives you time to emotionally prepare for Scout to go through this. Low thyroid is not uncommon in Shelties and thankfully is easily treated with an inexpensive med if it turns out that Scout tests positive for low thyroid. Hope the answers you got today and the treatment plan puts your mind at ease a little bit...I know this has all been a shock.
Gentle hugs to your sweet boy.
Trini
Thank you for your support. I have been telling my friends and family how all of you have made this devastating dx a little less disheartening. The knowledge and experience you share is invaluable to a new sheltie mom. Most people just think a dog is a dog, is a dog and specific breed knowledge is hogwash. From the time I was a child, I have always had a dog and most times two dogs at my side across several different breeds. I have to say that my experience with a sheltie has been a huge difference than other breeds in my family. All of you who have been following Scout since April have become a part of his family. He and I are so thankful for you.
 
Back
Top