Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

WHY?

Discussion in 'Behavior' started by ghggp, Oct 6, 2018.

1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I will certainly try one on one walks! He is such a good boy that it would break my heart if he felt I was not giving him enough attention. Interesting that your boys also lick moss, dew, etc!

JacqueZ, Caro and Piper's mom like this.
  2. danisgoat

danisgoat Moderator

Jul 23, 2009
    NJ
    Vinca does that and has been for years. She's 13 now, so I just let her do it. She loves to lick the dew off the deck wood, water that collects on the bottom of overturned buckets, water on the bricks. Its weird...but she is weird lol. Hopefully it is just a habit and not something worse.

ghggp likes this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    0980F40B-28B9-42E4-BADF-22D54FAD7D83.jpeg
    I never had a dog do this before! So, it is really interesting to see others have encountered this too. I guess I am just concerned he may pickup something bad like an virus/organism that could do him harm.

I took this picture yesterday of Beau and Liam. I sure hope I have not upset the dynamic here... I just thought Beau liked having a playmate.

JacqueZ, Hanne, Piper's mom and 2 others like this.
  4. Pam

Pam Forums Enthusiast

Mar 4, 2017
    Beau does that. He licks water that collects anywhere and dripping out of a tiny hole in the downspout. Shadow also did it. Funny when Beau was tiny and I picked him up at the breeders (which was on a farm) he and his sister were drinking out of the puddles. The breeder laughed and said all her dogs did that and she never understood why when they had cold, clean water inside. So it might be quite normal. Beau seems very healthy otherwise.

ghggp likes this.
  5. Calliesmom

Calliesmom Moderator

Mar 29, 2008
    near Mobile, AL
    my first dog Danny (non-sheltie) liked to drink water out of the flower pots outside, water bowl right next to it. guessed he liked flavored water better...........

ghggp likes this.
  6. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    Skylar does this too......Spirit would never dream of drinking "dirty" water though!

ghggp and Caro like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Premium Member

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg Mb
    I'm quite certain that as Liam grows up and matures he and Beau will get along fabulously. Just like Piper and Finnie, Piper gets tired of all the play play play but at the end of the day he likes him. You just have to do more individual things with the dogs...perhaps taking Beau outside for some one on one play, a walk or even an outing will help to perk him up and feel special. You'll figure out what works best for him and you'll have a happy pack!

ghggp likes this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Ok. update on Beau...

We got tests results back
    Thyroid Panel: Clear\Normal
    Heartworm Test: Clear\Negative
    Full Blood panel: Clear\All categories within normal ranges
    Lyme Test: Clear\Negative

So, Beau is acting totally normal again. He was chasing Liam around the yard today! The weather is in the high 40's today.

However, I did see something that caught my attention...
    Normally the door to the basement is only open slightly so the kitty can go down to use the litter box.
    I go down daily to pick up after him. He is 15+ so he is getting old and not really eating that much.
    I was surprised to see nothing in his box for the whole time that Beau was acting sick.

Here is the theory... For the past week, I have been blocking off the doorway so no dog can get downstairs.
    Hmmm... Beau gets better...

I think you catch my thought process of why he was feeling ill...:Vomit:
    So, a few hundred dollars later... :banghead:

danisgoat, Hanne and Caro like this.
  9. Cara Sandler

Cara Sandler Forums Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2015
    Florida
    For what it's worth, both of my girls would totally do that too!

ghggp likes this.
  10. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    Which is why we have a baby gate across our cat's room - EVERY ONE of my Shelties would snack on kitty poop, for sure! And he probably ingested some litter, to boot. Hope that is the source of the problem, Gloria, so relieved his blood work was normal!!!!

ghggp likes this.