Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dog Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

So today we did 2 laps around our parking area as opposed to 1. And Gavin did poop in the chair. It looked awkward, but then doesn't it always? At the end I think Gavin was getting the hang of it and moving pretty darn fast, but I need to keep him walking in an even gait as much as possible.

Ann and Hanne like this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

We went around the block tonite. Gavin was definitely working. Got lots of comments from other people out, they thought it was great. He doesn't seem to be able to run in the cart.

3. Sharon7

Sharon7 Premium Member

Oct 31, 2009
    Southern California
    I thought he looked quite good in the videos! He really is a handsome guy. My first Sheltie girl Skye was also a mahogany sable and I just love the coloring. I think it's wonderful how he's adapting. Good for both of you.

4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

we had a setback today. Gavin decided he didn't want to walk in his chair. I had to resort to bribery to get him moving (and boy did that work!). I think I will have to go buy some Cheerios for our walks.

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Whatever works! Bribery works every time for my dogs...
    Keep up the therapy... I am sure the more he uses the chair the better he will appreciate it. Hopefully, the extra treats as motivation will help!
    Keep up the good work Cindy! Would love to see more pictures of Gavin too! Such a beautiful boy...

6. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

This morning he was a man on a mission! I think his happy temperature range is 55-65 and anything warmer he just doesn't want to go anywhere much cause its soo much harder on him (beach and fun new places excepted). Previous walk was after work and it was warmer out. He still wants to walk on the right side and doesn't realize his wheels keep getting caught on things/fall off the sidewalk. Also, I have to walk in front of him quite a bit otherwise his wheels can catch my heels and also so I can guide him around obstacles.

Video :

Attached Files:

Hanne likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Go Gavin!!!

That video just brought tears to my eyes! What a trooper! I watched that video over and over again!!!
    My heart just is so warmed by the complete trust he has in you, Cindy.

The image where he is walking towards you is just beyond precious.
    Makes me wish I had tried it on Mr. Chance.
    You are a sheltie hero!

Give that sweet Gavin a hug and kiss on the snout from me! Good Boy! :hugs

8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

Still One day at a time. Gavin really wants to go out for walks everyday, but his body just can't yet. He is a very sweet and trusting boy, so when he throws on the breaks on a walk with me I pay attention. Today we finished our walk visiting the neighbor. She always gives him treats but Gavin can't sit in his cart so it was mildly humorous watching him. He did well enough that I think we can start trying longer and more frequent walks for the time being. I ordered some flashing lights for his cart for evening walks since it gets dark pretty early now.

9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Good idea to get lights for nights and dusk and dawn!

Possibly add reflective strips too?

10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

I will post a picture of him in his decorated wheels! Amazon has puplights for $3 as an add on. I also bought red blinky lights for his rear bar.