Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Dog Wheelchair

Discussion in 'Senior Sheltie Health' started by Cindy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    We so totally accommodate our dogs!
    If I were to do that with Piper (who lays in front of the cupboards when I'm cooking anything) I'd have everything on the counter lol!

ghggp and Calliesmom like this.
  2. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    San Francisco Bay Area, CA
    This is where my dog goes during the day when he is off camera....for hours....my bathroom floor with his head on the carpet in my bedroom.
    Mind you, the same tile is at my front door as well.... IMG_6015.jpg

ghggp, Sandy in CT and Piper's mom like this.
  3. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Silly boy, they all have their own idiosyncrasies don't they? Lately Riley has been sleeping in the living room, behind a chair along the wall where the AC vent is...he's a big Sheltie and yet I don't see him! I walk by and miss him every time!

ghggp likes this.
  4. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    So Gavin has not even gone into my living room for over a week when I am at work. Literally, the camera does not show him AT ALL. He just stays in my bedroom and rotates between the bathroom floor (which I can't see) and the dog beds at the foot of my bed (which I see). I see his fluffy butt coming and going between the two!

It isn't that hot here in the bay area, but I can think of no other reason for his behavior. His behavior when I am home is normal. He hangs out with me until around 9, then at 9:30 comes out and then starts whining for us to go to bed.

Hanne likes this.
  5. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    So I was out of town to visit family for a week. Gavin went to dog daycare (he has been going there 13 years) since having a friend take care of him resulted in emergency vet within 48 hours when I went to Sweden. He is very tired (expected). He can't get up on the couch (sadly, I am not surprised...although I had hoped he would be able to get on the bed using the ramp). He also can't make it up on the bed. He tried last night, at least. He is going into the bathroom to visit me (good sign). I am hoping a few weeks of exercise will get him back to where he can get on the couch and my bed. He was limping more than before yesterday (he was slipping as well after his bath), but seems to be improving on that score. I think having him in dog booties for a week (dog daycare is linoleum and the boots help him not slip) means his pads need to toughen up a bit.

It is just sad that my missing 2-3 exercise sessions (walking, hill walking, beach visit) and a week of low level PT is enough for him to be set back so much :( he is still too tired for anything, but this weekend we will start.

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  6. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I'm sorry to hear that Gavin's had a setback, Cindy. I'm sure that under your care he'll bounce back shortly. Sending gentle pats to your boy...

ghggp and Piper's mom like this.
  7. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    It's hard I'm sure to see so much decline like that but much the same as when a senior goes into the hospital for a time. They lose muscle so quickly (even after a few days) with the lack of activity but after a week or two it does slowly start to return.
    I'm sure Gavin was happy to see you!

ghggp likes this.
  8. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Not so sure about being happy to see me! He was and is super tired.
    He didn't even notice me leave this morning cause he was sleeping :)
    I did get some snuggles, though, and he did want on the bed last night (once). And anticipate plenty of loves this weekend.
    I bathed him, so he's all soft and sweet smelling!

Hanne, Piper's mom and ghggp like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Sweet-smelling sheltie... can't think of anything better... unless it is a sweet fluffy mahogany sheltie called Gavin!
    Give that boy a huge bear hug and smooch on the snout from me!
    Hopefully, this weekend you can have some much-needed bonding time with a bit of physical exercise.

Piper's mom likes this.
  10. Cindy

Cindy Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    we had a nice stroller walk this morning :)
    Gavin is perking up a little bit this afternoon, so good thing I got a lot of sunggles in this morning!.
    He is still having trouble with the ramp to my bed so I help him up (I support his bottom and let him walk up).

I always know Gavin is feeling better when he gets into the trash or recycling. Tonite it took him 15 minutes to tear into a basket completely :)

Last edited: Aug 4, 2019
    Piper's mom, Calliesmom and corbinam like this.