Dog Wheelchair

yeah.. he definitely is more snuggly than as a younger dog.
Either that, or I am more comfy with some more extra padding than 5 years ago!
 
yeah.. he definitely is more snuggly than as a younger dog.
Either that, or I am more comfy with some more extra padding than 5 years ago!
We all are Cindy lol...I just recently got rid of many clothes that haven't fit me for years. I think it's our cold winters, I have no desire to walk the dogs when it's -30! This winter I'm going to get a treadmill...use it for me and the dogs!
 
We have mostly good days..and a few less good days.
This morning he surprised me with a short hike on a trail that had been closed since the pandemci closed things...and then he kept going past the stroller! Food always perks him up as well. Its just an ever changing game trying to figure out what amount of exercise keeps him happy, alert, keeps his strength up, and wears him out enough so he sleeps most of the night but not too much where he sleeps all day and night.
we have started keeping a bootie on his bad foot all the time, as he had been slipping more and more on the floor over time.
It seems to help a lot and he has always left it alone

we still go to the beach most weekends....and Gavin loves it even though he does sleep pretty much straight for 2 days after.
 
I am amazed at how well he is doing, all things considered. He will be 15 come Christmas, and has been walking on 3 and 1/4 legs for 3 years. I do sometimes think of having him use his wheelchair with his legs up like they have paralyzed dogs do, if only because it might be easier for him to play at the beach without having the awkwardness of his bad leg getting in the way. But then I revert to the idea of it being good to use that bad legs as much as possible....

He still comes up and visits me at night on my bed on cooler nights (we have had some late heat waves here in Nor Cal this year) which always warms my heart.

He doesn't follow me around the house quite as much as he used to, but it is hard to quantify. Mostly, I can go to the bathroom in the evenings and get back to the living room without him checking up on me more often now whereas before he would come find me if I was gone for more than 30 seconds. In the mornings he follows me more becuase he is waiting for his breakfast.

He still loves his belly rubs and getting his back/bum rubbed. He will stretch out his legs (good and bad) when I do that.

And in the evenings, he usually goes to bed in my bedroom around 9PM, and comes back out to the living toom to remind me to go to bed around 9:30. Always makes me smile, the old man coming out to tell me to go bed :)
 
Thanks for the update on Gavin! Makes me smile reading your details. Like Lisa said, we need our Gavin fix!
You are so blessed to have your boy for 15 years. Of all the shelties I have had never made it passed 14.
I had a boot for Mr Chance’s bad foot that he would drag and it really helped stabilize him. How wonderful that he reminds you when it is bedtime!
 
I just try and cherish every day I have with Gavin. I am so thankful I have had him to get me through all the COVID isolation since I live alone. He has kept me sane, and kept me getting out to walk him in his stroller. He always gets up to great me when I come home from work, eager for some loves (and his dinner). And this morning he has had to go chase away squireels from his backyard twice :) We can see them from inside when they are on the fence in a certain location, and off Gavin goes to bark at them.
 
Back
Top