Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Now what...

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by ghggp, Jun 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I agree with Sharon, Gloria. Liam can be a house pet but you still want to train him and socialize him. I do believe that if you found the right place, it would be great for him. If you do explore other facilities, I would make it a point to go and watch their trainers and classes before you sign up. Ask questions about how they handle aggressive dogs and if they allow them in group classes.

I do think Liam would benefit from some classes, whether they're Obedience or Rally and I'm sorry you'll lose money over this situation but I really think continuing where you are would be a setback to Liam's confidence that could be permanent. It's so important to listen to our dogs. When they tell us they're uncomfortable in a situation, there's a reason.

2. Piper's mom

Piper's mom Moderator

Jun 26, 2015
    Wow...that's shocking what the trainer said! If I had a dog focused like that on mine I'd get the hell out, ESPECIALLY if the trainer is that oblivious!
    I've been at shows where a dog was focused on Piper and my trainer told me to keep an eye out on that dog...it wants to kill Piper. That's really what it wants, sure doesn't want to play with him.

KarenCurtis, ghggp, Ann and 2 others like this.
  3. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Wow, money is more important than reputation for some people. Just sounds crazy. As for telling you to stop making excuses - what the (rude word)!!!! You are your dog's spokesperson and protector, to hell with her. Got to wonder if the quality of the dogs in the class are indicative of the quality of the trainer and facility. Maybe it's time to move.

If my class doesn't walk away smiling, if we don't have lots of laughing in my class, then I feel like I'm not doing my job. Owning a dog should be fun, training a dog should be fun! I never have a problem with moving people around, I want the class to be comfortable and be able to focus on their dog and not worry about anyone else. Gee I wish I lived near you. You could help me with Tully and I could help you with Liam!

4. Hanne

Hanne Premium Member

Nov 13, 2014
    Danmark
    Caro so agree - it is this setting it is about :yes:

But my experience is that the setting has changed here in the last 10 years, now it's money it's about:mad1:

KarenCurtis and ghggp like this.
  5. Caro

Caro Moderator

Jan 14, 2009
    Maybe that's the problem. Where I live dog training is run by volunteer-run clubs (people active in the dog sports are expected to teach) so it's often older, more experienced people who run the clubs for fun not money.

6. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    So far I can’t find any nose work classes here. I have been so horribly busy at work that I have not had the time to research more. But I will!

KarenCurtis likes this.
  7. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, I plan not to continue there! Not worth the stress!

8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Yes, you hit the nail on the head! Looking else where!

Calliesmom and KarenCurtis like this.
  9. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    It is really scary when that dog eyes would just lock on Liam! It was like a cat watching a bird! The barking and snarling is what set Liam off. He is so sound reactive. The owner of the pit bull kept trying to step in front of his dog to break his eye contact.

All I can say it it was way too much dog for that guy to handle! Maybe it was his first dog. He had no power behind his commands. No matter how hard he tried he could not get that dog to sit, let alone do a stay command!

The trainers kept telling people they need to do their homework! These folks come to class thinking the dog will somehow miraculously become well behaved without working on it! They take the focus off the others in the class... needless to say the disruption they cause!

Thanks for letting me vent!

Last edited: Jun 8, 2019
    Calliesmom, Ann, Caro and 2 others like this.
  10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    I just don’t know why some short haired breeds seem to hate long haired breeds or see them as prey!
    So scary!

Calliesmom, Ann and KarenCurtis like this.