Dismiss Notice
Hello Guest, Welcome to the new version of Sheltieforums.com. If you have any questions regarding the new software, please post in the following section: Forum Upgrade

Now what...

Discussion in 'Obedience' started by ghggp, Jun 4, 2019.

Tags:
  1. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Don’t think that thought has not crossed my mind. I remember years ago when I was training Kelsey, Laddie, and Mr Chance I had a blast! Yes, it was fun just like you said it should be. It so saddens me when I get the feeling they believe I am the problem!

Liam is such a sweet pup. Yes, I am a bit overprotective when he gets frightened! I want him to trust me. How can I do that if I put him in harms way. I just can’t bring myself to do it.

I will keep looking for other classes! Thanks for the moral support!

2. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    Gloria, don't ever forget that you are Liam's protector and don't ever apologize to anyone for that! He trusts you to do that and it's the most important thing you can do for him. Keeping him safe should be your first priority, no matter what any trainer says, or anyone else for that matter. Once something happens, the effects and damage can be very long-lasting.

Piper's mom, ghggp, Hanne and 4 others like this.
  3. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    F88CD8DA-4A03-4416-A9CA-DBA2EF5779EF.jpeg
    Thanks Ann! When that trainer said stop making excuses for your dog... it really set me back thinking I am the problem.

Yes, I do think he falls into the range of overly shy and that might have a hereditary component. I would rather deal with a shy dog any day and than an aggressive one! He is so sweet and kind.

There is not a mean bone in his body! He is still young and deserve time to build confidence.

Hanne, KarenCurtis, Ann and 5 others like this.
  4. Sandy in CT

Sandy in CT Premium Member

Aug 5, 2018
    CT
    Such a beautiful boy! You, Liam - you are not the issue, that 'trainer' is. I hope you find somewhere else and once you do, I would write the head of that facility and let them know why you left.

5. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    Good idea. Never considered doing that! I was going to call but though better about it. She did not listen to the first time about my concerns. Maybe writing the letter will help her to understand my lack of confidence in their facilities for my boy. Sad.

KarenCurtis, Ann and Calliesmom like this.
  6. trini

trini Premium Member

Nov 13, 2013
    Gloria, years ago when I adopted a very shy rescue girl who was literally afraid of everyone and most other dogs, rather than push her into going into a class with so much new and scary to take in, I called our local high school and asked if there were any students who loved dogs, possibly looking to go on and study to be vet's or some other work with animals, and would be interested in being hired to help my little dog get past her fears. 4 students were interested...I hired them for 2 afternoons a week, each session lasting 1 hr...I paid them each $15 a time. They were wonderful, initially just sitting in a circle on our LR floor with special treats (tiny pieces of baked chicken)...each one in turn would call my doggie to them, treat her, and gently praise. Soon she was greeting them at the door, all excited to see her "friends". Slowly we graduated to them bringing their own friendly dogs to the sessions and we all worked together on basic ob commands as well as some added playtime...first here inside the house and outside...then graduated to going to safe public parks (not dog parks where you can encounter some uncontrolled aggressive dogs) to do the training. After 6 months there was no need for them to continue coming...which was bitter sweet...I was delighted with how much confidence my gal had gained but we missed seeing the kids. Sometimes a formal class is too much, too soon, for a dog who lacks confidence especially a class that is lead by a really bad trainer! Negative experiences in such a class could potentially set Liam back and leave damage that might never be fully undone.

Liam is such a handsome boy, I love his big soft gentle eyes.

Trini

7. Sharon7

Sharon7 Moderator

Oct 31, 2009
    That photo of Liam says it all, he looks "soft", sensitive, a little tentative, very sweet but unsure. Just presents a different kind of challenge but I know you will find a way forward with him. don't give up, Gloria. He will blossom eventually with patience and time.

KarenCurtis, Calliesmom and ghggp like this.
  8. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    What a wonderful idea. I do have several high schools nearby. I will certainly call and inquire. There is a new family that moved into the neighborhood and they have a little male tri sheltie. She ran out of her house one day to stop me as I was walking Beau and Liam. She had two junior high school-aged girls who came out to see us too. I think I will try them first as they just live around the block.

"Negative experiences in such a class could potentially set Liam back and leave damage that might never be fully undone." That is my worst fear.

KarenCurtis, Ann and Calliesmom like this.
  9. Ann

Ann Moderator

Feb 25, 2008
    I just love Liam's sweet expression, Gloria. He is such a gorgeous boy and you can see his heart in his eyes. Sharon said it well. Give him time and patience and keep his trust in you. It will make all the difference.

10. ghggp

ghggp Moderator

Aug 28, 2011
    Grosse Pointe, Michigan
    You are so right, Ann... "you can see his heart in his eyes."
    I certainly think so too.