Riley, sad news

How's Riley going?
About the same Caro, I have had him on CBD oil and it makes such a difference on his pain. He did have a fall going down the outside stairs last week...I was closing the door and he started down the stairs and his back end went out from under him. He stayed upright on his front legs but back legs were under him. I tried to catch up to him (he got upright right away at the bottom) but he was so upset he ran away from me. I spoke to the vet yesterday and she thinks his nerves are being affected. I ordered a back and front harness (a rear lifting one) that should come next week. For now I make sure I'm right beside him when he takes the stairs. He still loves his food and barking at Piper and Finnie...he hasn't lost his authority lol.
 
I have found even potty walks go better with Gavin in harness (front range by ruffwear, easy to get on) and me using a short leash (my leash has a short grab bit) and walking slowly. Keeps the center of balance at his shoulders. It sure is scary when their legs go our from under them :(

I hope the rear harness works well for him. Have you thought of a cart for him? I think Gavin's was $350 from chewy. I am amazed at how much it helps with the peeing and pooping (limits the hunching over, the falling over, etc). At the beach last weekend he made a nice little spiral of poops! (he is a walking pooper). I know at some point in the future Gavin will need the cart to get around much, whereas now he tolerates it when he gets to go the beach.
 
Glad you are investing in the harness.
Pleased that...
“He still loves his food and barking at Piper and Finnie...he hasn't lost his authority lol.”
 
That's amazing he still wants to walk the stairs. I have a front and rear lifting harness (one for each dog) and neither would use it. But in the meantime you can use a rolled up towel for lifting.

I don't think any true leader loses their authority, because they earn their respect. That said, it doesn't hurt keeping the little ones in line just in case!
 
Well after a very roundabout way of shipping the harness from Ontario , across Manitoba to British Columbia (gotta love Canada Post, who think sending a package 3 provinces over is faster than one province!) the harness is finally in Winnipeg and hopefully will be delivered tomorrow!
Fingers crossed that it fits!
 
How is it working out for you?
Its good Cindy, I really like the job it does (although I'm sure Riley would rather not wear it) and its so easy to get him up from the floor! I did have to do a bit more adjustment as i had it too close to the poop chute and it got dirty (wouldn't have been an issue if he arched his back). Just today going down the stairs he got stuck (one back paw on one step, other on lower step) but because i was right there i just lifted a bit on back harness and we were good. I only have it on him when I'm home (not when I go to work) although it does say you can leave it on for extended periods. I'm sure as he gets worse it'll have to be on him longer.
 
The cheap knock-off I got from amazon (like yours, but just the rear end,I have more supportive top harnesses) is quite similar to your pictures. It is so cumbersome to put on.we haven't worn it in a while. I am not sure Gavin can piddle in it.....Gavin still struggles getting up as it takes him a while but we aren't quite there yet.
 
I know what you mean about the peeing, I had to be quite careful not to interfere with his 'junk', some dogs their penis is set back a bit. Biggest problem is keeping it clean (because he can't arch his back), I almost think I should take the back off as soon as he's off the stairs. Got dirty again today. This one is quite easy once adjustments are made to put on, I just put on front harness then clip back to the front, put tail through and then straps under back legs and clip to top. It's all those quick release tabs like collars have.
 
Back
Top