Lazy or sick?

I am sorry to hear about his diagnosis and will defer to the others that have had that procedure done. Seeing it being done on tv doesn't count.

I wish you very good luck at the orthopedic vet.I believe they can fix his problem and he will be better than new.

I agree wholeheartedly with you, it's in your contract, but who could trade in a family member.

Best wishes and prayers sent to you both.
 
I’m so sorry this was the dx but at least it’s only one hip although I’m sure this wasn’t at all what you were expecting! I know when Blueberry was 13 weeks she developed a tick which the vet said was neurological and I struggled with the decision but ended up keeping her. The tick or whatever it was went away and she’s a happy girl now. Hopefully the orthopaedic surgeon gives you an option so you can give Scout a good life. Any idea how old the dam was when she had the litter? Most breeders won’t do a breeding until 2 as they have to wait until the growth plates have closed to do an OFA. Also you can search the database to see if the dam was done.
 
I’m so sorry this was the dx but at least it’s only one hip although I’m sure this wasn’t at all what you were expecting! I know when Blueberry was 13 weeks she developed a tick which the vet said was neurological and I struggled with the decision but ended up keeping her. The tick or whatever it was went away and she’s a happy girl now. Hopefully the orthopaedic surgeon gives you an option so you can give Scout a good life. Any idea how old the dam was when she had the litter? Most breeders won’t do a breeding until 2 as they have to wait until the growth plates have closed to do an OFA. Also you can search the database to see if the dam was done.
I’m trying to find the names of the dam and sire, but I can’t find where I put the info she gave me. I am still rattled from this morning at the vet’s.
 
I’m trying to find the names of the dam and sire, but I can’t find where I put the info she gave me. I am still rattled from this morning at the vet’s.
Unfortunately a dog whose hips rate good to excellent on the OFA certification can still carry some of the genes for HD...that is what makes this so difficult. That doesn't mean that it isn't very important for a breeder to have all their breeding dog's hips certified as good+...but sadly it is not a 100% guarantee that they can't produce a puppy with HD. Hopefully someday there will be a test that can determine whether or not a dog carries some of the genes that can produce HD because each parent doesn't need to carry all 5-6 genes and if they don't they themselves won't have HD...but if they combine to pass on the right selection of these genes from each of them then they can produce a pup with HD. It is complicated and going to make it really hard to impossible to fully erase HD from breeding pools.
Trini
 
:(( You are not alone...we will all be here rooting for you and Scout!
I know, and all of you are such a supportive group. Supposedly, the orthopedist vet will call us sometime next week. Really looking forward to hearing his recommendations. Did research on FHO and it does seem to be the best option. When I told my husband, who is an anesthesia provider and has been in thousands of hip replacement surgeries, he said I was crazy. He never believes me about anything surgical, so I just told him to research it. Guess this is never done on humans, so he was skeptical. After watching FHO on YouTube he apologized.
Scout is getting a lot of love and attention from us tonight. Breaks my heart he has to go through this.
 
It is always heartbreaking to know a little pup has to undergo a painful surgery...but once he is healed he will be so much better off without a hip that hurts. Your love and support will see him through this. BTW our Rory's breeder offered to take him back and give us another puppy, which obviously we refused, so she gave us a full refund which was a big help in covering part of the cost of his surgeries. Your breeder might be willing to do the same...it would at least be worth nicely asking her.
Trini
 
Last edited:
It is always heartbreaking to know a little pup has to undergo a painful surgery...but once he is healed he will be so much better off without a hip that hurts. Your love and support will see him through this. BTW our Rory's breeder offered to take him back and give us another puppy, which obviously we refused, so she gave us a full refund which was a big help in covering part of the cost of his surgeries. Your breeder might be willing to do the same...it would at least be worth nicely asking her.
Trini
I did get a reply from the breeder who said she had never heard of an 8 month old puppy being diagnosed with HD. She asked if I could send her the X-ray images. I will do so, but I really don’t think she will offer a refund.
I know this is silly, but Scout has the most beautiful coat I have ever seen and the thought of the vet shaving off such a large part of it makes me cry. I wonder how long it will take to grow back.
 
I’m trying to find the names of the dam and sire, but I can’t find where I put the info she gave me. I am still rattled from this morning at the vet’s.
I can imagine! It’s a lot to take in when you weren’t expecting something like this in such a young dog!
Do you have an appointment with the ortho vet?
Did you get a registration certificate from the AKC...the info should be on there (at least they do appear on our CKC registration)...
 
I did get a reply from the breeder who said she had never heard of an 8 month old puppy being diagnosed with HD. She asked if I could send her the X-ray images. I will do so, but I really don’t think she will offer a refund.
I know this is silly, but Scout has the most beautiful coat I have ever seen and the thought of the vet shaving off such a large part of it makes me cry. I wonder how long it will take to grow back.
It would be good if she offered to help with the cost...
I know it’s not much consolation with him losing the fur from shaving but they do typically blow their coat at around a year...Piper had his full coat at 3 years old.
 
Back
Top