Lazy or sick?

I did get a reply from the breeder who said she had never heard of an 8 month old puppy being diagnosed with HD. She asked if I could send her the X-ray images. I will do so, but I really don’t think she will offer a refund.
I know this is silly, but Scout has the most beautiful coat I have ever seen and the thought of the vet shaving off such a large part of it makes me cry. I wonder how long it will take to grow back.

Our Rory was literally unable to walk without severe pain by the time he was only 10 months old. Often when the hips are bad that early in a puppy's life it is what is called Legg Perthes disease...this is a disorder of the hip joint conformation and typically only happens to one hip. Sadly our Rory had it in both hips. So, yes, Scout is definitely of an age where his hip can be in real trouble...I am very surprised the breeder was not aware of Legg Perthes which can be evident as early as only 3 months old. Also it is more common in small breed dogs who are under 20 pounds...our Rory was 26 pounds. And like your Scout our Rory had the thickest, most beautiful coat of any Sheltie I have ever had and seeing that whole leg and hip shaved is a shock...but within less than a year you would never have known he had been shaved for surgery....his full, thick and long coat was back 100%.
I know how hard this is all to take in...I cried for days after we got the dx on our Rory and the first time I saw him post surgery was heartbreaking...but to see him pain free and running along with my others once he healed made all the emotional struggle worth while. Scout WILL have a wonderful life once this surgery is done and healed.
Trini
 
Last edited:
You are just going through stages of shock and mourning, so it's not silly to be sad about having his beautiful coat shaved. It's a crappy situation but as Trini has said he WILL heal up, grow back the coat, and be fine. The end result will be worth it. I am sorry about his situation, completely understand how upset you must be.
 
I agree with Trini. Getting Sprite's diagnosis at 10 months was a shock, and facing two surgeries made it even worse. But I am so glad we did it, and did it early while she was young. She healed well and quickly, and yes they shaved her all the way up her thigh but it starts growing back within a week. Her coat filled in in about three months. I marvel frequently at the difference even now, when she's 6, at how mobile and agile she is. You'd never know she had a problem. Watching her move before the surgery was painful and required painkillers. The FHO surgeries were the best thing we could have done.

Hang in there, you and Scout will get through this, and Scout will never remember it. It's really good that you found it now, and not a few years from now.
 
I agree with Trini. Getting Sprite's diagnosis at 10 months was a shock, and facing two surgeries made it even worse. But I am so glad we did it, and did it early while she was young. She healed well and quickly, and yes they shaved her all the way up her thigh but it starts growing back within a week. Her coat filled in in about three months. I marvel frequently at the difference even now, when she's 6, at how mobile and agile she is. You'd never know she had a problem. Watching her move before the surgery was painful and required painkillers. The FHO surgeries were the best thing we could have done.

Hang in there, you and Scout will get through this, and Scout will never remember it. It's really good that you found it now, and not a few years from now.
The good news is the anti-inflammatories have greatly helped his pain. Yesterday he seemed so much better. He walked better in the yard when I took him out, even trotted a little. He seems much happier. Hope to hear from the ortho doc this week.
 
The good news is the anti-inflammatories have greatly helped his pain. Yesterday he seemed so much better. He walked better in the yard when I took him out, even trotted a little. He seems much happier. Hope to hear from the ortho doc this week.
So glad Scout is getting some relief from the meds. :) At least this will let you keep him more comfortable until he can be evaluated by the ortho Dr.
Trini
 
I am so sorry for coming to this thread late!
How shocking it must have been to be blindsided by the diagnosis. Something so simple as a limp resulting in surgery.
Although I never had any experience with HD, the responses from everyone who has are just astounding!
This site just reinforces how wonderful it is in comforting those that need help and support.
I would be sad as well to see that beautiful coat shaved. But, the end result is a healthy and happy Scout.
Hang in there... we are all pulling for you both! Much love and prayers!
 
Last edited:
Back
Top